Search This Blog

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Try some Seitan...no, not Satan.....Seitan

My new addiction......Seitan! It is a food made from the protein portion of wheat. Wheat gluten is an alternative to soybean-based meat substitutes such as tofu. Some types of wheat gluten have a chewy and/or stringy texture more like that of meat than most other substitutes.

Per serving 85g, calories: 90, fat: 1g, protein: 18g, carbs: 3g, iron: 1.2mg

I bought the already seasoned and smoked Seitan from Whole Foods (the ready meals section). At first I wasn't too sure about the texture, but then I have to realize that it isn't chicken. I cut it up into little pieces and with some veggies and sauce.......it was surprisingly yummy! It's a great meat replacer in meals. There's also Seitan that isn't flavored available. It looks weird and gross when it hasn't been prepared so just warning you ahead of time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat_gluten_(food)

No comments:

Post a Comment