Search This Blog

Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone


---Where it all started for me was with this book. I wasn't planning on giving up meat or dairy, so when I decided to get this book it was mainly just to try another "diet." I'm always finding new diets to try to see what works (none have so far). I figured I would just use some of her recipes throughout the week to help stop with my weight gain. After reading through the first part of her book I knew I had a different outlook on food that would stick with me for the rest of my life.
---The first part of Alicia's book she goes over the "Nasty" foods.....meat, dairy, sugar, and processed foods. It also includes a section about the Kind foods that nourish the body. Of course she mentions the mistreatment of the animals (which is pretty disturbing), but she also mentions what the food does to our bodies and what's in the meat that is harmful. I probably sound heartless when I say that I kinda knew what happened to the animals and still ate meat. It is when I found out what was really in the meat and how it treated my body that made me say no more.
---The second part of the book talks about the different levels of either as a flirt, Vegan, or becoming a Superhero. I love this part of the book because I always had the feeling that you had to just give up everything all of a sudden which is hard for most people. I found myself starting as a "flirt" according to her book and am now on my way to becoming a full Vegan. Everything in life is full of baby steps and I'm glad she addresses that in her book.
---The third part is full of her recipes for Vegans and Superheros. I haven't been able to try any of her recipes yet, but the Cheesy Oozy Guacamole Bean Dip looks like the place to start. I also want to try making some of her pumpkin bread this month in time for Thanksgiving. I have to admit that some of her recipes look too hardcore for me, but as she says in her book that it's okay if you aren't ready for the superhero recipes and to stick with the Vegan ones.
---Alicia.....you have changed my life and my outlook on eating forever......thank you for helping me to be a healthier person!

No comments:

Post a Comment