Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I can have ICE CREAM? A list of some non-dairy foods I've tried


When I thought about giving up dairy I was scared! I knew I had to because it was really bad for my asthma. I thought I would never be able to have my beloved ice cream, cream cheese, milk, butter......the list goes on. Once I started looking for dairy alternatives I was amazed at all the selections there is!


Here's a list of some of my favorites I have tried.......


So Delicious Coconut Milk ice cream- I was looking in the freezer isle when a lady out of nowhere asked me if I was looking for a non-dairy ice cream. She didn't even work there. She instantly pointed out the Coconut milk ice cream and said, "Even my kids are fooled and think it's the real thing." I'm sooooo happy she told me about Coconut Milk ICE CREAM!


I don't miss dairy anymore thanks to this lovely pint of yumminess! I got the cookie dough one and it tastes just like cookie dough ice cream with a hint of coconut. There are tons of flavors to pick from. There are other So Delicious products that I haven't tried yet. If anyone is able to try the other products be sure to post a comment.
If you don't like coconut.....I recommend Vanilla Tofutti Cuties. They taste just like an ice cream sandwich with vanilla ice cream. Delicious!



Earth Balance Butter- This stuff is just like creamy butter and even tastes like butter! It is also all natural, rich in Omega 3's, free of GMO's (Genetically Modified Organism), no trans fats, no hydrogenated oils, and no artificial ingredients! What are you guys waiting for? Go get some of this amazing Vegan butter! Check out their site for more information about Earth Balance Butter and some of their recommended recipes.



Tofutti Cream Cheese- I was a bit skeptical about trying this out because the first thing I thought of was tofu. I had doubt about it having the taste and texture of actual cream cheese. I'm so sorry I ever doubted! I tried it on my toasted bagel on Monday morning. It was creamy and the texture was spot on of the real thing. I'm so glad I don't have to live without my cream cheese. I can't wait to try it when making cream cheese frosting. http://www.tofutti.com/btcc.shtml


365 Almond Milk from Whole Foods- I tried rice milk which I didn't like because it was watery and grainy, so I decided to give Almond milk a try. I had it with some organic Flax Plus Granola cereal. It reminded me of low fat milk and had a sweet almond taste. It was perfect with my cereal. I could probably dip my vegan chocolate chip cookies in it too. This is going to be my favorite replacement for milk from now on. I haven't tried Soymilk yet, so when I do I'll be sure to post about it.


Daiya Vegan Cheese- I tried Rice Vegan Cheese.....it was plasticy and wasn't too much like cheese so I tried Daiya. I wasn't too thrilled when I first tried this cheese out. It had a strong smell when I opened the bag and such a strong flavor of cheese. I then gave it a second try using it on some beans and rice. I only sprinkled a little bit on top and it was way better. It even melts like real cheese. The cheese is kinda pricey, but if you have to have your cheese then this is a really good product. You can even freeze the left overs to make it last longer. I also heard about Nutritional Yeast that I haven't tried yet. I'll have to try it out soon.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions of different non-dairy foods for me to try out. Or even tell me about the ones you have tried.

2 comments:

  1. Ian and I love vanilla tofutti cuties, but we decides to take a walk on the wild side and try the mint tofutti cuties for the first time last night. Wow are they good - better than the vanilla ones by far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I'll have to pick some up next time I'm at Whole Foods.....thanks!

    ReplyDelete