Search This Blog

Monday, November 22, 2010

Scrumptious Homemade Pancakes

It was a rainy day, so homemade pancakes with a Pumpkin Spiced Latte sounded like a great idea. My husband made the Lattes with almond milk and I was in charge of making the pancakes. A friend of mine gave me an amazing cookbook called, "The Joy of Vegan Baking," by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau where I found a recipe for pancakes.

Pancakes Recipe:
  • 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (I used 1 cup white wheat flour from Trader Joe's)
  • 1 Tbs. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup nondairy milk (I used soymilk)
  • 2 Tbs. canola oil or melted non-dairy butter (I used canola oil)
  • 3 Tbs. liquid sweetener, such as pure maple syrup, apple juice concentrate, or orange juice (I used pure maple syrup)
  • Additional oil or non-dairy butter for cooking

I also added 1tsp. vanilla extract and sprinkled in some ground flaxseed. This is optional.

  1. Combine the flour, baking powder, ground flaxseed, and salt in a bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the milk, oil, vanilla, and sweetener.
  2. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and mix just until moistened; a few lumps are okay. (Don't overmix, or the pancakes will be tough.)
  3. Heat a nonstick griddle or saute pan over a medium-high flame.
  4. Pour the batter onto the griddle to form circles about 4 inches in diameter. Cook the pancakes for a couple of minutes on one side until bubbles appear on the surface. Slide a spatula under the pancake and flip it over. Cook the pancakes on the other side for another 2 minutes or so. Continue until golden brown on each side.

I made my pancakes bigger and ended up with 5 big pancakes. My husband and I couldn't finish them. If cooking breakfast for more than 2-3 people then you might want to double the recipe. These were light and fluffy for being wheat pancakes. I have to say that I prefer these over making pancakes with bisquick......yes....they were that yummy! Next time I hope to make them with some blueberries....mmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment