Search This Blog

Monday, November 22, 2010

Pumpkin Pie

I used another recipe from, "The Joy of Vegan Baking," by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. The recipe for her pie crust is amazing, but takes up 2 full-sized book pages. You'll have to buy her book for that part of the recipe. Here's the recipe for the pumpkin pie part.....

Pumpkin pie recipe:
  • 1 pie crust
  • 12 ounces silken tofu (firm)
  • 2 cups pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch or arrowroot powder (I used cornstarch)
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/8 tsp ground cloves

I cheated with the pumpkin spices....instead of buying cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves I bought a pumpkin pie spice that included all of them already from Trader Joe's. It came out to 2 1/8 tsp of the pumpkin pie spice.

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare your pie crust or thaw a store-bought pie crust.
  2. In food processor, blend together tofu, pumpkin puree, maple syrup, brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves until the mixture is completely smooth and creamy.
  3. Pour the filling into the pie crust, and smooth the top with a spatula.
  4. Bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until the crust is lightly browned and the outermost inch of the filling is set. Don't worry if the center is still soft; it continues to firm up as the pie cools.
  5. Cool to room temperature and then chill until set, 1 to 2 hours. Serve chilled or at room temperature. Yield: 8 servings

I couldn't wait long enough for it to set, so it was a bit soft. It was still very tasty and I don't think anybody would be able to taste the difference. I topped my pie with a tofu whipped topping recipe I found online. I love this time of year!


No comments:

Post a Comment