Search This Blog

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Tofurky Taste Test


Surprisingly the Tofurky was my husband's idea. He wanted to see if it was even close to the real tasting turkey. I was very hesitant in trying it because I was afraid I would hate it. It suggests having chopped up veggies being cooked with it, but I didn't have any of that. I wrapped it up in foil after I added the basting ingredients (plus a little bit of onion powder and garlic powder) and cooked it in the oven for an hour and 20 minutes. Then it cooked for an additional 20 minutes after re-basting it. It came with a giblet gravy I heated up in the microwave for few minutes being sure to stir it up every minute. The gravy looked a bit off from what I'm used to seeing as gravy.

When we cut it open we noticed the texture reminded us of canned ham. To my surprise....my husband really liked it! It did taste like a well seasoned turkey and it tasted even better with the gravy. The filling on the inside was like a moist stuffing mixed with some wild rice. I wasn't sure if I liked the inside filling or not, but my husband liked it. It also filled us up pretty fast and we had plenty of leftovers. My husband said the tofurkey tasted just like a turkey, but without the sleepy effect from regular turkey. I asked him if he would be interested in having the Tofurky again possibly next year and he said he'd buy it again......that's coming from the hardcore meat eater!

On the cute side......the Tofurky package came with a Holiday Tofurky postcard.






No comments:

Post a Comment