Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Ultimate Brownies

I looked up 3 different recipes for vegan brownies and tried this recipe first.  This recipe was so good that I might not even get to the other recipes.  It's rich with chocolaty goodness. 

If you don't want to make brownies from scratch.........just get the box brownie mix and instead of eggs use ground flaxseed with water.  One tablespoon of ground flaxseed mixed with three tablespoons of water and let sit for 2-3 minutes is equal to one egg.  Nobody would be able to tell the difference. 


Adapted From This Recipe

Vegan Brownies:
Ingredients~
  • 3/4 cup flour (I used whole grain pastry flour)
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder (I used Ghirardeli unsweetened cocoa)
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup melted soy ice cream..... (I used Purely Decadent Coconut Ice Cream.....the volume of the ice cream you select will reduce when melted so start with a little more than half a cup)
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil (you can use a bit less if using coconut coconut milk ice cream)
  • 3/4 cup sugar (I used raw cane sugar)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 cup chocolate chips (optional......of course I added some)
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Directions ~
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 8" square pan.
  2. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.  Set aside.
  3. Whisk together the melted ice cream, vegetable oil, sugar and vanilla.  Fold in the dry ingredients until just combined.  Fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts, if using.  Pour into your prepared pan--the mixture will be somewhat thick.  Be sure to distribute in the pan evenly.  Bake about 15-20 minutes-- the top should be set.  I didn't bake mine long enough because I doubled my batch, but they were still yummy.  These brownies are best when they've set for an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment