Search This Blog

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Food Portions: Then vs. Now

Since taking the step to eat healthier foods I have started noticing other aspects to be healthier.  When I used to eat over at a friend's house their mom would tell my mom I was a healthy eater.  I didn't know that was their polite way of saying, "wow....your daughter eats a ton!"  I would dish up my food for dinner and my mom would look at me and ask, "Can you leave some for the rest of the family?"  I had no knowledge of correct portions and I would eat until I got sickly full.  After high school when I was in the high 150lbs. range I started to reevaluate my eating habits.   

Now I know about portions and to not eat so much.  It took me a good year to adjust to this new way of eating.  Now I eat every two hours and I make sure not to go overboard with my food portions. 

Here's an article on portions and how they've changed over the years.  The article also mentions how plates have changed in size.  Also, cookbook recipes have changed over the years making their serving sizes way bigger than originally.  A recipe for brownies back in the day would have 30 servings where the updated recipe is 12 servings.   

Page 1

Page 2

No comments:

Post a Comment