Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Joy of Vegan Baking by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau

When I started trying to eat vegan I was given this book by a friend.  I was amazed that the book was 288 pages full of every sort of baking good, frosting recipes, beverages, puddings, and more.  I tried out the pumpkin pie and her recipe for pancakes.  Both tasted so amazing!  I ended up switching some ingredients to make her recipes a bit healthier like using whole wheat instead.  Colleen does an amazing job at switching out animal products out of the recipes so they end up tasting as if they did have them.  She includes baking tips and a detailed description of alternatives to use in baking.  She also includes some really great points that I never thought of such as:

 "There are at least two commercial "egg replacers" available.....both fabulous products that last forever in your pantry, providing a convenient and economical alternative to perishable chickens' eggs.  For instance, one 16-ounce box of Ener-G Egg Replacer makes the equivalent of 112 eggs!"

Wow.....I'll be saving money baking this way too!  Sweet! 

Best part is that all the recipes are free of saturated fat, cholesterol, and lactose! 
I'm so grateful to my friend for giving me this wonderful book that I will keep forever.  I'm so happy I can have my baked goods with a healthier twist.   

No comments:

Post a Comment