Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

It's Been 3 Months


When I first started eating like a vegan it was just for fun and as an experiment.  I love meat too much to give it up completely.....or so I thought.  My first week I went cold turkey and gave up everything meat and dairy related.  I thought I was going to die because I always thought you need meat and dairy to be healthy.  I even dreamed about my fridge being full of red meat.  After I did some research I knew I would be healthier without those things and I was able to find replacements for the foods.  This made it even easier on me being able to avoid meat and dairy.  If you're first starting out trying to eat like a vegan then I recommend you trying it little by little.  You can switch out and replace different foods slowly over time. 

I decided to do some research on the food I was eating and what I used to eat while trying to eat like a vegan.  This was just out of curiosity and for fun.  What I found was shocking and made me feel sick to my stomach for even wanting the food I used to eat.  I didn't realize I was making myself sick and making my asthma worse.  I think giving up dairy was the easiest part for me because of my asthma.   

After trying eating like a vegan for a month now I realized that I'm not dead and that I could keep doing this.  The main incentive was the fact that I was losing so much weight without trying and I felt better.  Why wouldn't I stick with this??? 

My husband joined me in eating like a vegan on weekdays and he noticed such great results that he's going to stick with it too.  He still has trouble getting in the veggies because it's hard for him with his job.  His work caters all the food, so he tries his best.

We still have our weakness of sushi, but I'm really cutting back on that due to the mercury levels in fish.  I know I want to have kids someday and that wouldn't be good to have in my system.

It's been 3 months of eating like a vegan and even though it was just an experiment at first I feel as though this is more of a life change for me.  I am also very happy about many family members and friends joining me after seeing my results.....even if it's them giving up one thing like cheese or milk I know that they will be more healthy from it.  I want all my loved ones to be healthy and live long lives. 

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting. I always look forward to your blog. =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Courtney! I've been doing research all day today on switching to a plant-based diet, and remembered that you had this blog! I am going to start by replacing some of our dairy foods this weekend, and hope to get Jason on board. I am really nervous, but seeing that you have done so great switching over really helps. Thanks so much for keeping up this blog, I'm sure it will be a huge inspiration to us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies for checking out the blog. I hope to get some more recipes and info up soon.

    Jess- I noticed it's easier to switch things out slowly over time. Best to start with ice cream and butter. You can try out the non-dairy ice creams.....I recommend trying out coconut milk ice cream. And replace your butter with Earth Balance Butter. People have said they've lost weight by just cutting out dairy. So happy you're trying it out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tips, Courtney! Jason is a bit nervous about what to eat at work. Since your husband is in the industry too, we were wondering if you could give some ideas of what his meals usually look like. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband says the caterer on the show has some boca burgers he will eat and there's always salad and he can bring his own salad dressing....they usually have balsamic. If there's a guy making breakfast he'll get all the veggies, tortillas, and some salsa to make a form of chiliquillas they can grill up. I also try making a main meal for him the night before that he can heat in the microwave like a chinese stir fry, corndog, spaghetti, pizza with no cheese, or anything you can think of....don't forget the veggies are the main thing to eat that gives the most nutrition and fills you up the most for way less calories. The easiest way to start is cut out dairy and you'll feel the difference. Hope this helps :-)

    ReplyDelete